We have had a wonderful Shift Happens weekend and feel very blessed to be aligned with the Edgewater Beach Hotel. They have incorporated a Be Well menu (totally up our alley…go plant based—and fish too;) and a Be Well program, which provides guests with meditation tools, aromatherapy, yoga, and all the treats which create the opportunity to really get out of your way, escape from your thinking (our biggest nemesis), and experience your best self. Naples was voted the happiest healthiest city in the US for the third year in a row, and they are the first US city in the southeast to be part of the Blue Zone Project, which has studied the places where people live longer, happier and healthier lives, and incorporated the lifestyle practices into habits that the city has embraced. WOW for Naples. It’s no wonder you have to drag me out of their by my hair.
I am totally enamored with the city and it’s commitment to health and wellness, and love the nine principles the Blue Zone recommends to create longevity and good health in your life.
1) Move naturally; exercise daily.
2) Purpose; wake up with a purpose everyday and add seven years to your life!
3) Down Shift; reverse disease by finding a stress relieving strategy that works for you.
4) 80% rule; eat mindfully and stop when you are 80% full.
5) Plant Slant; (my fave) add more fruits and veg into your diet
6) Wine down; (OK…this may be my fave) If you have a healthy relationship with alcohol, enjoy a glass of wine with friends daily. (you may not reserve seven for the weekend, friends;)
7) Family First; spend time with your family may add six years to your life.
8) Belong; Attend a faith based community regularly and add 14 years to your life.
9) Right Tribe; surround yourself with people who support you and support positive behaviors.
These nine features can add years of health and happiness to your life. And you can really feel it in Naples. They have made it easy to use the assets of the city to create a healthy lifestyle, and isn’t that what we all want? We are looking for a way to feel good now, and by taking the right action, we can add so much happiness to our life, by changing our focus.